Wall Street ends lower as investors digest economic data By Reuters

© Reuters. FILE PHOTO: A trader works on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) in New York, U.S., November 29, 2022. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid

By Ankika Biswas and Noel Randewich

(Reuters) – Wall Street ended lower on Friday as investors assessed economic data and awaited a potential 50 basis point interest rate hike by the U.S. Federal Reserve at its policy meeting next week, while clothing company Lululemon collapsed on disappointing earnings forecasts.

U.S. producer prices rose slightly more than expected in November amid rising service costs, but the trend is moderating, with annual factory gate inflation posting its smallest increase in a year and a half, according to the data.

“Today’s data shows inflation is down, but it’s persisting and stickier than most assume,” Anthony Saglimbene, chief market strategist at Ameriprise Financial (NYSE:) said at Troy, Mich. However, in December, consumer sentiment improved, while inflation expectations hit a 15-month low, according to a University of Michigan survey.

Futures trading suggests a 77% chance of the Fed raising interest rates by 50 basis points next week, with a 23% chance of a 75 basis point hike, with those odds changing little after. Friday’s economic data.

Consumer price data for November, due on Tuesday, will provide further clues about the central bank’s monetary tightening plans.

Lululemon Athletica (NASDAQ:) Inc fell nearly 13% after the Canadian sportswear maker forecast lower-than-expected revenue and profits for the holiday quarter.

Netflix Inc (NASDAQ:) gained 3.1% after Wells Fargo (NYSE:) upgraded the video streaming giant from “overweight” to “equal weight.”

The fell 0.73% to end the session at 3,934.38 points.

The Nasdaq fell 0.70% to 11,004.62 points, while it fell 0.90% to 33,476.46 points.

Of the 11 S&P 500 sector indices, 10 fell, led by energy, down 2.33%, followed by a 1.28% loss in healthcare.

The energy index posted a seventh straight session of losses, its longest losing streak since December 2018, as oil prices looked poised for weekly losses on recession fears. [O/R]

Wall Street’s major indexes fell this week after posting two consecutive weekly gains. Fears of a potential recession next year are weighing heavily on investors due to the extension of central bank rate hikes.

For the week, the S&P 500 fell 3.4%, the Dow lost 2.8% and the Nasdaq lost 4%.

US stocks ended a recent streak of losses on Thursday after data showed initial jobless claims rose slightly last week.

Broadcom (NASDAQ:) Inc jumped 2.6% after the chipmaker forecast current-quarter revenue above Wall Street estimates.

Boeing (NYSE:) Co climbed 0.3% after Reuters reported the planemaker plans to announce a deal with United Airlines for 787 Dreamliner orders next week.

Falling stocks outnumbered rising stocks in the S&P 500 by a ratio of 3.3 to one.

The S&P 500 posted 5 new highs and 1 new low; the Nasdaq recorded 54 new highs and 213 new lows.

Volume on U.S. exchanges was relatively light, with 9.9 billion shares traded, compared to an average of 10.9 billion shares over the previous 20 sessions.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top